Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Greenwood Meadows 4-1 Gedling MW

Tuesday 18th December 2012 - EMCL

After watching Gedling on Saturday, I thought about giving this a miss, but Kev changed my mind - so off to Lenton Lane we went. Uneventful journey, but when we arrived at the ground we were surprised to see the car park was fairly well occupied.

Kev prompted me to park in the middle of the car park, right near the gate so we would have a clear exit route.  As it happens we were first out at 9:41pm and back home in mucky Huckna' for 10:00pm.

Met our Gedling MW friends just inside the gate - great to see Marc Williams again. Welfare could do with the big lads presence on the pitch, they have really struggled lately.

Tony Squires and Lee Spurr were our company for the night - Referee Rob Townsend came to have a word, as did Gedling sub keeper Rhys Watkinson.

Greenwood manager Nev Silcock is a good friend of old - it's always interesting to see Nev in action. He has new help at Lenton Lane in Jevon Swinscoe, a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic young man who will be around the non-league scene for many, many years to come.

No programme or team sheet unfortunately, but hey ho - not the end of the world is it?

Journeyman Chris Freestone started up top for Welfare, but it was in defence they failed again - finding themselves a goal down after just 35 seconds!

From the kick-off the ball was played down the Meadows left - when the ball was played into the box, NATHAN ROBINSON was waiting unmarked and had the simple task of nodding past Lance Walker in the Welfare net.

ANTHONY GREGORY doubled the home teams advantage on 11, making a superb solo run into the box before firing into the far corner. Last time I saw Gregory he was playing centre-half for Basford United!!

Craig Meakin pinged in a wonderful cross from the right in the 20th minute, picking out KIERAN WHALIN who made no mistake from close range.

3-0 was a little harsh - Gedling had hit the post twice and former Blidworth keeper Michael Yates had pulled of two top class saves to keep the visitors out.

Welfare did pull one back on 36 - a superb 18 yard volley from TOM WATSON after the home defence had failed to fully clear their lines.  H-T 3-1

The game was a bit less frantic in the second half, but Gedling showed a little more spirit than they had on Saturday, and were a lot tighter at the back. Freestone saw his well placed curling free-kick tipped over by the agile Yates on the hour mark, but Gedling conceded a fourth on 80 - WHALIN again on the mark after he escaped his marker and ran into the box before slotting past Walker. 

Referee Simon Swain had a good game, but had no option but to remove Gedling boss Andy Muldoon from the dugout after his constant tirades and stream of "industrial" language. Muldoon had been warned previously by the Assistant referee, but seemed to take no heed - and after one outburst against an offside decision, he gave Mr. Swain little option but to ask him to leave the technical area. F-T 4-1

Admission £5
Programme  -- we did ask!
Attendance -- 46  - a very good gate for Greenwood, especially for a midweek game!