Saturday, 2 March 2013

Hucknall Town 0-1 Newcastle Town

Hucknall's eighth defeat in their nine games played in 2013.

Hucknall Town - still smiling despite their current plight!

Both of us are getting a bit fed up now - last week was a big improvement on previous matches, but this was back to same old, same old. The first 20 minutes were ok, and there were a few moments to remember in the second half, but once again a defensive error proved to be the Yellows' downfall.

Josh Stolworthy almost cost Hucknall dear in the 4th minute when he hesitated instead of going for the ball, allowing Tim Sanders to go round him before flicking the ball over his head and sending a volley just wide of Michael Yates's post. 

Joe Storer heads away - great pic Kev!!

Josh Stolworthy makes a face!!

Warren Hatfield tried his luck from the edge of the box shortly afterwards, but Newcastle keeper Dave Parton collected easily enough. Anthony Rowley made a terrific run down the left on 7, and was unlucky to see his shot cleared off the visitors line for a corner. 

Rowley effort cleared

Danny O'Donnell's corner was met in front of goal by the head of Warren Hatfield - Parton somehow managed to keep out the effort, but more by luck than judgement! Kev caught the save on camera - you lucky, lucky keeper....!

Lucky keeper!!!

Chris Freestone flicked the ball onto Mitch Slawson in the 11th minute, but the number 7's drive flew just wide of the Newcastle goal.

Despite Hucknall looking dangerous in the first quarter of the game, it was the travellers who looked the more likely to score - they were more composed on the ball and seemed to have more time to make decisions than the home team. 

The goal eventually came on 25 - Stolworthy tried to head back to Yates under pressure from Tom France, but the header was short and France managed to get off a shot that the Yellows' keeper did well to block. Unfortunately the loose ball fell kindly to NATHAN SUTTON, who hit a tame effort towards the goal - Yates was going one way, the ball, after a taking a wicked bobble, went the other! When your luck's out! 

Unlucky keeper!

Andy Nicholls was allowed a run and shoot at goal after 39 minutes had been played, but his shot was just wide of the far post. 

Just before the break, Rowley let his frustration get the better of him, launching Kyle Diskin into the air after the Newcastle player had blocked his attempts to get the ball. Referee Tommy Hollidge gave the free-kick to Newcastle, but issued no card for some reason or other. Looked a straight red to both me and Kev! H-T 0-1

Newcastle were quick out of the blocks at the restart, France crossing to Sanders who sliced his shot wide when he looked certain to score. Rowley then made another foray down the left before firing into Parton's arms. 

Sanders fired over after slack marking gave him space to run at the Hucknall goal on 48, but Hucknall were almost level on the hour mark after Rowley's cross was met by the head of Freestone. Unfortunately for the striker, Parton was able to collect low down at the near post. 

Although the home teams play was becoming one dimensional - pinging the ball out wide left to Rowley all the time, it almost paid off on 70 when the winger picked out Freestone in the box. The no. 9 hammered the ball towards goal bringing out a superb stop for Parton - the rebound was again blasted at the goal, but again the keeper blocked magnificently.

The home team had a final chance to get something out of the game on 87 - Kamal Asumang-Hayles hit a  weak shot to the far stick, unintentionally to where Hatfield was racing in, but the skipper could only managed only to slice the ball wide. F-T 0-1

Admission : season ticket
Programme : £1.50
Attendance : 95