Saturday, 9 February 2013

Hucknall Town 0-3 Carlton Town

What a poor game - a candidate  for our worst game of the season, but also with a candidate for goal of the season thrown in.

Goodness knows where the Hucknall players hail from, but I suppose things are looking up as far as actual numbers go! A full compliment of 16 -- Carlton could only name three subs, and Assistant Manager Mark Clarke was among them.

Only Alex Malong, Jason Gregory and Mitch Slawson were known to us - but the rest of the players were a mystery

Carlton almost scored with just 10 seconds on the clock, but Ian Brown hooked his shot over the bar after Julian Topliss had picked him out with a cross from the right.  Topliss himself had a great chance to score on 10, but he failed to connect at the near post.

Hucknall were awarded a free-kick in the 19th minute - and it took a good diving save from Martin Kearney to keep out Ashley Cheetham's 20 yard effort.

The Millers went ahead after 26 minutes when the unmarked IAN BROWN headed home Josh Thornton's pin-point right wing cross.

Jason Dawson almost drew the home team level on 36 after he was picked out on the far post by Slawson  -  only a good interception from Rob Darkin foiled the Yellows no. 9.

JULIAN TOPLISS then gave us a moment to remember this game by!  He was played in on the near post and flicked the ball right footed over one defender, left footed over another defender before smashing the ball past Malong - terrific skill from the former Watnall Road favourite... H-T 0-2

Topliss (hidden) juggles superbly before smashing the ball past Malong

The only goal of the second period came in the 50th minute - a Thornton free-kick from the right headed home by the once again unmarked IAN BROWN. Seasoned Evo-Stick level players would know to mark the prolific Brown tightly, but the Hucknall defence wasn't made up of Evo-Stik level players and they were found sadly wanting for both the striker's goals. 

Both teams made changes throughout the second half, and the game rapidly dipped into mediocrity. Referee Alan Sarginson's final whistle was a very welcome indeed!!! Mr. Sarginson had a easy game - but it has to be said that the players' attitude was first class throughout.

Admission: season ticket
Programme : £1.50
Attnedance : 114

Thanks to Tony Knowles for the teamsheet.