Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Hucknall Town 1-6 Leek Town

Well - at least we bothered to turn out on a foggy, chill evening - us and 50 others....

It was easy parking at Watnall Road for this game - we had the entire car park to the side of the ground to ourselves!  When we exited the ground at full time, there were two more vehicles there - but it was a little strange to say the least.

Had some great banter throughout the game with Brett "the hit-man" Marshall and Brian Dennett - although Brian disappeared halfway through the second period.

Hucknall welcomed back Rob Paling, but Joe Storer was missing - his centre-back berth taken by Ryan Cheetham.  Hucknall did outscore their visitors on the team sheet - Leek could only name 4 subs - the Yellows had the full compliment!

Like I said, it was a bit misty, but the game never looked in any doubt. Our Referee friend Rob Townsend was due to take the middle, but had to cry off due to illness. His replacement was Andrew Park - the youngster had a very good game although the players were, on the most part, very well behaved. 

Hucknall were bright from the kick off, but all was soon back to normal and they went a goal down after just 5 minutes when DAN SHELLEY curled a beauty past Michael Yates from the left corner of the box.  

The home team were ripped apart time and time again by a very good Leek outfit - the only surprise was that it took until the 28th minute for them to score again.  TIM GRICE was left unmarked 12 yards from goal and hammered the ball past Yates, who could do nothing to stop the shot.

GRICE was left unmarked in front of goal on 34 and when the ball came in from the left he had the simple task of tapping home to further increase the visitors lead. H-T 0-3

MITCH SLAWSON reduced the home teams arrears in the 49th minute, cutting inside his marker before curling a fine shot in the far corner.  The Yellows have scored three goals this year now.... I'm not telling you how many they have conceded!!!!

Leek gradually shook off their half-time malaise and restored their three goal lead on 65, PETER WRIGHT hitting a superb 20+ yard shot from the right side of the box that left Yates clutching at thin air.

It got better for the travellers three minutes later, right back MICHAEL THOMAS scoring his first ever goal for Leek - a cool finish at the far post from a really tight angle.

Shelley picked out WRIGHT again with two minutes to play, and the unmarked striker gleefully tapped in from a few feet out to complete the rout. F-T 1-6

The scoreline reflects the game - Leek were so dominant it was untrue! Michael Yates was in fine form again and made 4 or five decent saves, otherwise it could have been double figures.

Admission : season ticket
Programme : £1.50
Attendance : 55